Today was a really dry day for the garden. The past few days have been incredibly hot so I had to make many trips to refill the watering can.
Many of the plants seemed to be bolting, some a lot more than others.
Sorry this one’s late, I had trouble with posting.
Today was a quiet day in the garden. I watered the plots without any trouble. A few blueberries are starting to come in, but the rest are still in their flowering stage. I hope they’re be ready by next week.
Another strawberry plant is beginning to fruit.
Some mushrooms are growing in one of the small pots.
Bees seem to be attracted to the sprouts in those same pots. If only h they’d give our blueberry and strawberry flowers the same attention.
I went to the garden early yesterday morning to do some quick watering. There were a number of “wood-like” lettuce plants that were bolting. I wasn’t sure what to do with them, so I decided to wait until today’s garden lab to consult Anne McKnight. Some of the dying lettuce plants went into the compost, while some of the bolting lettuces stayed in the ground. Throughout the morning, we talked to Daily Bruin writers, so look out for an upcoming article on our class!
Today we worked on a number of important garden developments:
1. Moved herbs from throughout the garden to one centrally located herb plot (with the new bench)
2. Labeled and mapped the garden
3. Stirred and watered the compost
4. Weeded things out and checked the periphery
Anne warned that this was becoming a “museum” garden, which we definitely don’t want, so start picking food and enjoying it! We picked some more green onions for students to take home. I grabbed some other foods eat in a salad later. Some of the lettuce was slightly bitter, but overall it was delicious! I’d recommend everyone else to try it out. We just have to make sure to only take about 1/3 of the plant when harvesting.
I arrived at our little urban garden in the late afternoon today, the 5th of February to see our little thriving piece of paradise. The weather was very cool and misty, so I only gave our plants a light watering since the soil had ample moisture!
Our newly transplanted blueberry bushes are doing very well. I can’t wait to taste their juicy goodness!
I made sure to remove some burs from the various pots on the perimeter, as well as our raised beds. I also did some pruning (and some lettuce tasting of course) to ensure the happy health of our little babies.
The radishes and bok choy are coming in nicely! The radishes now have plenty of room to grow now that we thinned the clusters; survival of the fittest. However, the basil next to the radishes haven’t seemed to sprout yet; either they were very recently planted, or they just grow slowly.
All in all there wasn’t much work to do; the plants seemed healthy (to my less-than-expert eyes).
I headed to Sunset this morning to water the garden and began by simply picking the leaves and burs out of all the beds. The soil in all the beds was a little damp so I just gave the plants a light watering. However, I did not water the pansies because I was told they might be getting too much water, which can cause root rot. Professor McKnight said that this is a good reminder that each plant has different requirements for achieving prime growth and that we will learn this as we go along.
I took a picture of some plants that are a little hidden on the workbenches so that they are not neglected when watering.
The carrot and onion/scallion seeds (in the bed with the transplanted cabbage) do not show any sign of growth yet, but hopefully in the near future they will pop up.
On the other hand, the chives and onion in another bed are doing excellent. A lot have popped up and are looking strong. I do not know if they have to be thinned because they seem to be growing in small clusters.
Also, when I was watering along the fence I was excited to see that we have a couple olive trees growing!
The garden is looking great!