Tuesday was a super busy day for our garden! We watered, trimmed, tasted, planted, transplanted, and composted!
The day started by tasting a few of our plants, noticing that the texture was a little chalky and the taste a little bitter. We think that some of the plants may have been in too small of a container while they grew, so the normal taste may have been lost. At the same time, the cabbage wasn’t “bad” necessarily, but it simply tasted different than what we may have come to know as “normal” for cabbage. We realized that it was probably a good idea to collect the plants that seemed to be outgrowing their current potting situation.
We went around and collected a number of the plants that were definitely beginning to burst out of their improvised pots. Unfortunately we weren’t able to transplant everything, but I think that we were able to salvage a few plants.
Due to the strange weather patterns, some of the cabbage began to grow tall and woody, signs that it would not be very productive, but that we would be able to collect seeds from them. Perhaps we can start up our own small version of a seed bank in the near future!
We also noted that while the radish growing in one of the beds was doing super well, it was time to thin out the crop to ensure that each plant had enough space to grow. In the same bed, Professor explained that buckwheat, while growing, is generally a plant to regenerate soil, which is not totally necessary for our new environment. We were able to replant seeds in that area, though I’m unsure what we ended up placing there.
Of course we had to water! Most of the plants are looking fairly healthy, so we must be doing something right!
After the build this past weekend, we have a few more beds in the garden, which is super exciting. We planted all sorts of seeds within our new bed, but had to transplant some plants on top of some of the seeds, we’ll see if they sprout anyways.
We had a great opportunity to help develop some of our compost as well, adding in some less than vibrant plant material, and mixing everything around. It was hard work!
A major project throughout the day revolved around the very successful blueberry plants growing in pots all around the garden. We decided to plant them near the front fence by the pomelo tree, and it was no easy task. Collectively we dug out 6 spots for the plants, and transplanted them into the ground, being sure to provide plenty of water so that they could continue to flourish. Hopefully we’ll have some blueberries to eat soon!
Last, but not least, James mentioned the plans for a new bed with an attached bench, currently being stained to match the other redwood. The garden is shaping up to be a great place to relax and enjoy!
On Friday afternoon I visited the gardens. It had been raining earlier in the day, giving all of the plants fresh water. When I got to the gardens I started out going to each bed and removing unwanted items like seed pods from the trees above, pine cones, large pieces of bark, and even a piece of glass!
I went around to each spot that we had planted seeds in and monitored their progress. So far, the chives haven’t come up yet but a neat line of Radish have sprouted and are looking wonderful!
I also noticed that on one of the Strawberry plants (which was already up at the garden before we created the new beds) has produced its first Strawberry! I will keep an eye on the plant and on any more new strawberries that appear.
What needs to be done: The next visitors to the garden should continue removing unwanted debris from the beds and keep an eye out for the new seedlings.